Lahanodolmades / Stuffed Cabbage Rolls …
… normally I serve them with the trademark Greek avgolemono (lemon and egg) sauce , but this time it felt right to go for a tomatoey one . Hubby has never tried this version before and it made his list of favourites 🙌.
I am sharing the recipe below but check out the visual process in my highlights .
Makes around 30-35 rolls:
1. Scoop out the stalk from the bottom of 2x white cabbage heads ( I used sweetheart cabbages) and boil in water for 5 minutes to help soften and separate the leaves .
2. In a bowl mix 500gr of minced meat (1/2 beef -1/2 pork recommended),2x chopped onions,2x grated carrots, 1/2 cup of grated tomato (discard the skin), 1 cup chopped parsley, 1/2 cup chopped dill, 1/2 cup of risotto rice,1/4 olive oil , salt & pepper .
3. The ideal size of a leaf should be a bit bigger than your palm , If too large, cut them in half and get rid of the hard bits in the middle. If too small , lay them at the bottom of the pan you will cook them in , to avoid them catching .
4. Put a tbsp of the meat mix in each leaf and roll ( see highlights)
5. Line them up in the pan , and pour 1/2 cup of olive oil on top.
6. Dilute 1 1/2 tbsp of tomato purée in a cup of water and pour that in as well . Finally fill up the pan with water ,enough to just cover the rolls . If you have any leftover mince , throw that in as well ,as it flavours the sauce.
7. Bring to the boil , and then lower heat and simmer for about 40 minutes, until the filling is cooked .
8. Serve with a pinch of dried chilli flakes , a bit of lemon juice , lots of feta , and bread to soak up the sauce .